Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Building a Tennessee Smokehouse in Wisconsin Snow

scroll down for whole story...





Find a flat spot in the Snow


A Snow Shovel


A pile of Bricks...


And get to freaking work!!!!!














I don't really keep in contact with any of my old Marine Corps buddies but one, Smaggie, and haven't seen him in twenty something years, we talk all the time but never see each other...he's always been in Chicago and I have always been moving around the planet cooking like crazy....

So anyway Smaggie makes it a plan to come visit me over the New Year Holiday...

So he tells me he's bringing some pheasant and venison...I get giddy....time to make a freaking smokehouse in the backyard...

Ah shit....forgot how much snow was on the ground.....





So I get bundled up and go outside and build this smokehouse out of some bricks that they had pulled up from the front of the hotel....it's freaking on now...

Smaggie shows up and I am just about done with it, we travelled all over hell trying to find wood chips to smoke the proteins that he brought and finally go to smoke some venison I marinated in soy, chipotle, brown sugar, CheffySalt and cumin. I took the pheasant and subprimal cut it, brined it in just salt and water, patted them dry, drowned them in CheffySalt and wrapped them in bacon, and I had gotten a pork butt that we threw on the smoker as well and we ate like pigs...

(they told me Smaggie and me had a couple beers....that's what I am told anyway)

Anyway...was some fun stuff, I really became one with the snow and that smoker that day and when that happens it rocks...