Monday, December 10, 2007

Walker Update

The Walker House Update
A quick note to everyone that has been checking out the blog and attempting to find out more about Chef, especially Amy and Darby...kind of a cute story...was out for dinner at Mineral Spirits and gave up my seat so that Amy and Darby can sit down, through our conversation it came out who I was only to find out that they have been to my website and to the blog checking out the stories and pictures of my food, I thought that was kind of neat....
The Update
Unfortunately, due to the inevitable glitches that often occur when opening up a new business, the Walker House will not be open for New Year's Eve as projected, but will open up as soon as possible and I am accepting other projects while we are waiting for construction to be completed. Our construction crew is diligently working daily in order to get us open but unfortunately we all have run into brick walls either physically or legally that have prohibited progress in some areas. These guys really rock and are doing their best to keep us moving forward. There was something that I had written a few weeks ago that was taken out of context, so regardless of whoever said what let it be said that these guys are working their asses off.
As a thank you to our staff we have been cooking for our staff on Friday's and that has been kind of fun. Our sheetrocker Matthew really amazes me with his palate. Matt had brought me some venison that I had cooked for the staff (pictured above) that was pretty awesome and Matt really likes to cook so I had showed him the marinade that I love to use for venison and had him alongside tasting each dimension of the marinade, was kind of fun, I love that kind of shit when someone really gets into food and I am able to teach them something. Last Friday I almost spaced out cooking lunch, so I had thrown something together quickly. I had made a grilled chicken with rice pilaf, while I was eating my chicken, in my mind I was trying to taste one of the flavors that I had used and then Matt looks at me and says "Sweet Chili Sauce right?" All I could say was "Good Palate..." I couldn't taste it but he could not only taste it but he distinguished the flavor...awesome stuff...
For Christmas I am going to do a cooking class with all of our workers and having them invite their families, that should be a lot of fun...anyhoooooo...will fill you in on that when we make it happen...
Other than that...
My bakery is almost completed, am going to move the ovens today and attempt to straighten out the pantry area so that we can move equipment around in an attempt to set that up.
I will be a happy boy once the bakery area is totally completed, is just a matter of time, but it looks more like a bakery everyday, so I guess in that sense I am pretty happy.
The health dept. has been over a couple times, just want to make sure that he and I are on the same page about things. Unfortunately, he is leaving town over the holidays so in order for me to be inspected I have to have the kitchen completed by the 18th and that is just not going to happen. The interior can be completed by then but there are issues with the make up air and hood systems for the bakery and dishtank that can not be completed by then...
Anyway...
That's pretty much the long and short of it, everyday we are making progress, but as it always is when opening up a new business there are always walls that we run into, is just a fact of life...
So be patient...
And the answer is Yes!!!!
The Walker's Back In Town Baby!!!!!