Thursday, July 20, 2006

Crazy Ceviche, Choux Paste, Vidalia Jam and using gelatin


Greg gets an education in Pate Choux and Using Gelatin
Bread and Butter Roughy Ceviche
Blackberry Roasted Vidalia Jam


Choux Bowls around 3-4 oz for Lobster Newburg-couldn't decide on what to do for a bowl for a dual entree with Seafood Newburg and Flat Iron Steak with Mushroom Demi- Was originally going to try to find vols au vents, but decided to make something instead, and decided on making these Choux Bowls. Greg had to make 4 or 5 batches of Choux Paste so he "owns it" now---

Roasted Vidalia Jam- at the class on Monday they had this product in the warehouse "roasted vidalia jam" and needless to say, it was roasted, it was an onion, it was jam....what's not to like....

So when we got back to work, Greg was ready for play mode, so he wanted to try to copy the jam---so he comes out with his mise en place and I saw that he had madarin oranges---ah....hell no...take a walk with me young man, lemme show you something...hmmm frozen peaches, blueberries, ah looky what Cheffy found...blackberries....oh, we're on now....

It rocked, he was going to tighten it with a cornstach slurry and I told him to use some gelatin---ah shit, we're on now....

Greg had not done aspic or vegetable molds before with gelatinized consumme before, so here we go back to Cheffy's-ah hell, let's play....

I continued on my day while commenting occasionally on Greg's playing, method, flavor, that kinda thing which often led to a "what if?" question from Greg and some of them were "Hell, I don't know go ahead and try it..." replies, the fun of playing I suppose....

So he made a vegetable terrine in a loaf pan a some small in two inch souffle cups. We have some functions coming up this weekend with veg displays so some of the aspic and terrines would be nice on a veggie platter...




A couple weeks ago Vickie and I went out for a kick ass meal at "Bistro By The Tracks" in Knoxville...if you have never been, ya really need to go check out Amber and Doyle, they rock!!!!

So anyyway....one of the dishes they had prepared for me had these pickled onions as an encroutment with one of the many dishes I had that night and I loved them. They were marinated in some kind of bread and butter pickling with what I gueesed as beet juice as a coloring additive, I really liked it and told Greg about them and I tried to replicate it.

Bread and Butter Pickled Orange Roughy

I wasn't all htat impressed with the pickled onions that we did, but I took the brine and put in a peice of orange roughy for two days---ah shit...did that ever rock!!! Kind of like a pickled herring and such a funky color, I loved it....ha-the things that freaking amuse me....

Fun Stuff....

No comments: