Friday, July 21, 2006

Chipsalmico Ribeye with Choux Bowls of Seafood Newburg



This pic happened about 3 mins. after I was CheffyDancin' at the Saucier Station chanting "I've got and idea...I've got an idea..." And Greg sayin', "Don't tell me let me guess...you have an idea...." The CheffyDance works in weird ways now and then...one thing for sure if it doesn't rattle your brain housing group or senses , don't worry about it cuz if I am CheffyDancing then you can bet your ass I am a happy boy.....when the senses are happy, everything is happy...

Had some dried fish flakes and some lobster base, infused with butter as a flavoring for the bread crumbs that I decided to put on top of the Choux bowl....was freaking awesome...

House made bread crumbs, large grind
The infused butter with basil, thyme, oregano, granulated garlic and onion, dill and black pepper tossed in the bread crumbs----oh, this made me happy.....have you ever seen someone dance with a faceful of Bread Crumbs before...? Is kinda hard to swallow....LOL

*************************************************************

Man, did I have a lot of fun today...no stress, just Cheffy and his warrior friends having a really good time putting out kick ass food...what is better than that??????????

Chungachungabam Baby...

The Plate...

Chipotle-Balsamic infused Ribeyes with Mushroom-Veal Demi-Glace, accompanied by Seafood Newburg stuffed in an herb infused bowl of Choux Pastry, Roasted New Potatoes and fresh steamed garden veg....




The event was a small one (130 pp) but everything came together and our culinary team actually came together as a team (as we almost always do, but today was different cuz we really put out a nice dinner...)




Me, T and Greg pumping out the Choux Bowls...



Me filling the bowls with Shrimp and Scallops



So anyway, Greg rocks....I had a lot of fun with him the past couple weeks, from all of the playing that we got to do. He is thankful for the things that I have taught him these past couple weeks and I am twice as grateful because I get to think about and develop new shit with his help, and sometimes that just puts you deeper in touch with yourself, not only as a chef and culinarian but as a spiritual influence in this thing that we call a life...you rock Bud...

So anyway, I had a shitload of fun today...

I told Greg that I thought we were gonna have a lot of fun today and that I was gonna have fun with or without him, been a long time since we have done a high-profile event and got to have fun with it...



So anyway....

Greg got taken to Pate a Choux 101 this week, after making five or six batches in a row, he claims "...I own that sonuva bitch now..." We adjusted the recipe some, adding some herbs and spices...turned out pretty rocking...those were the bowls...

We don't know where they dish came from or whether it was something that Greg an I wrote over sushi or what the hell...

Had a freaking nightmare trying to resource sea shells to put the newburg into instead of edible container, but the choux bowls were a great contribution to the dish...if not the centerpiece...

Anyway, couldn't freaking find any shells...what's up with that shit....three weeks trying and none of our freaking perveyors can resource sea shells for service....WTF?????

Was a toss up between vols au vents or trying a savory choux pastry bowl around 4-5 oz in center... Vols au vents suck in doing in volume...if someone has a secret, please share it with me...so we chose the choux bowls and it rocked...

Is perfectly undercooked a word?

I cooked shrimp and scallops in my cinnamon court boullion undercooked enough so that after the addition of sauce and cooking time plus the inevitable hot box time, would be perfect once it hit the table. Cooking seafood for a large amount of people can sometimes be the difference betwen success and failure...overcooked seafood sucks....

I got as close to a traditional sauce than I normally get with the Newburg Sauce, traditional in the sense that I made it like it was supposed to made, but as with everything else it had a bunch of CheffyBoy variables going on with flavors-it was excellent...had me happydancing most of the day...and would definitely make Escoffier ask me what the hell I thought I was doing....

Anyway, just wanted to fill in everything so that I remembered this dish, will post both final choux we used and the recipe for the newburg sauce...

Cheffy









No comments: