Saturday, August 19, 2006

Cheffy Rant #276432


Cheffy Rant #276432

This business is really screwy…

Sometimes you can be dancing on the clouds, and other times slinging through the mud…

Are we drawing the lines or defining them? Or worse yet, are we sacrificing ethics for the sake of greed.

Definition. As a chef, it is necessary to have definition. We need to define all that is a part of our world, from service to cost analysis’ and P&L’s to the locations of the trucks and knowing what is on them to “ah, shit, I have to jump in the dish tank…” for one solo purpose, we HAVE to make it happen…

We must:

Define all things that in our mind we represent and expect. Especially Quality!!

Define the spirit of your heart and the harmony of your staff. Unhappy people make shitty food…

A bad apple can spoil a whole bushel; regardless of what we do other than consume the apples….

Waltzing in the midst of Rocking and Rolling is never an option, nor is failure.

If you wake up in the morning and fix a bowl of cereal and the freaking milk is bad, do you put it back in the fridge and hope that is better tomorrow?

I don’t fucking think so…

Sometimes it is a thin line between the passion for food and the greed of money…

Welcome to the Western Hemisphere…

And to my current world…

When there is no communication, you lose…bottom line…

People, departments, managers, staff in general need to freaking communicate, how in hell can you ever expect to be successful without having 100% understanding of what to expect out of your peers, employees, employers and of your freaking day…you can’t, you won’t and when this happens you are only asking for drama.

Prevent fires, don’t wait to extinguish them. It’s not bio-chemistry or rocket science, analyze the events and open mindedly discuss the events occurrences, especially the less than perfect occurrences; it is the only way that we learn.

Sometimes I just don’t get what is so fucking hard about that...

If you don’t give a shit about what you are doing, then do me a favor and get the hell out of my world...It won’t be the first husband, wife or child I pissed off, and probably not the last.

I have a major issue with sacrificing ethics. I like traditional sauces and methods of cooking versus the world that our profession has become, although I am pretty well known for taking my classical knowledge and adding a little CheffyTwist to it. It is just that non-conformist boy in me I guess. But dollar to dollar, not only am I freaking your taste buds out, I am also making a living doing it, hurrah for me right?

Not really…

So many people have gotten away from the food…

Several years ago I had the pleasure of meeting Chef John Fleer of Blackberry Farms in Townsend, Tennessee. Chef explained his philosophy about food and how important it has been in development of mankind, from the world’s greatest decisions to the simplicity of a family meal. His love and passion were very inspiring. Chef refuses to compromise his ethics in any way, shape or form…now to me that is life.

It’s always been about the food.
Always has been.
Should always be.

Why is that so hard to understand?

From the inquisitive mind of the Cheffy Boy…
No Passion---No Love

No comments: